When it comes to learning a foreign language, the two language skills that play a crucial role in increasing the competence of a person and then judging it are speaking and listening. The better these two skills are, the better will a person be able to communicate with the natives of the foreign language.
Pertaining to learning Urdu as a foreign language, one also has to improve the listening and speaking skills as they are detrimental to the kind of communication the person is able to do when in conversation with the natives. The lines below discuss how one can improve the Urdu listening and speaking skills.
Pertaining to Urdu listening improvement, the recommended method for Urdu as a second language learners is to use audio cassettes that contain Urdu recordings. By listening to these recordings a listener can make the ears accustomed to Urdu language and can also improve the brain’s comprehension of the language. However, for better comprehension consider the following tips:
- The first thing you need to do pertaining to improving the listening skills with audio cassette is listen to a single sentence or a dialogue over and over again. When you do so, the true pronunciation of the words becomes clear to you and you also get to know that how the words are used in a particular sentence in a particular scenario.
- Secondly, when listening to sentences your focus should be on the grammar, vocabulary and the pronunciation of the words. These three elements are crucial to listening and learning Urdu, therefore, these three should be emphasized upon.
- Thirdly, when listening to sentences, try repeating them aloud without looking at the transcript. When you say them aloud you actually hear your voice and then you compare it with the way pronunciation was done in the audio. Therefore, try repeating the sentences in the audio by saying them out aloud.
- Fourthly, after listening to the conversation, try finding out the keywords that were there in the conversation and that are new ones, which you have learned, thus, this way make a summary of whatever you have learnt and added to your knowledge.
Pertaining to improvement of speaking skills, linguists recommend indulging into conversation with people who speak the target language as well. In this regard, you need to start a conversation with someone who speaks Urdu better than you and when the conversation gets started, consider the following:
- Don’t feel shy when practicing speaking skills as the language learning process practically stops if you feel shy of practicing it with others. Therefore, never ever feel shy in practicing the language with others.
- Secondly, don’t just go on speaking abruptly, rather before speaking a single word or a sentence, make sure that you have its true meaning in your mind and are aware of the grammatical structure before speaking the sentence in Urdu.
- Thirdly, when another person is not available or not available as frequently, then you must grasp the chance and speak Urdu at whatever chance you get of speaking the language and start speaking it the instant you find someone to listen to it.
In a nutshell, both listening and speaking of Urdu are the key competencies that need to be mastered in order to be fluent and proficient in Urdu language. Hence, the aforementioned tips can help an Urdu learner and help improve the pace of learning by mastering the two important skills.