Urdu is one of the renowned Indo-European languages of the world. It is greatly spoken in the subcontinent part of Asia. Although the language originated in subcontinent however, because of the phenomenon of globalization the speakers of the language have spread all over the world and because of this global spread the awareness about Urdu is increasing.
Besides the spread of the speakers of the language, the geographical importance of the areas in which it is spoken has also given rise to the importance of Urdu and people have started learning it and are pursuing higher qualification in it as well. The lines below discuss some tips, which an Urdu learner whos is learning the language on his or her own can follow for better learning of Urdu.
- The first thing is to start with Urdu alphabets. In this regard, you can take help from internet and download the script for Urdu alphabets. It is the first step in learning, where you firstly get accustomed to the images of the alphabets, and then you need to listen to the sounds of the alphabets in order to make sense of the way they are or will be used in the language. Therefore, before anything, you need to get familiar with the Urdu alphabets and their sounds.
- The second thing that you need to focus upon pertaining to learning Urdu as a foreign language is finding similarities between your mother tongue and Urdu. It is one of the most effective techniques pertaining to second language learning and it is also a fact that languages no matter how geographically distinct they are from one another, at some point assimilate with each other. Therefore, it is imperative that you start comparing the languages, identify the similarities and try learning and understanding the similarities first.
- The third thing that you need to do is to improve your Urdu vocabulary. The whole language learning is constructed around the vocabulary, therefore, the more words you add into your vocabulary, the more ideas and concepts in Urdu you get to understand and put them into practice while using the words. Therefore, it is imperative that you use dictionaries, software, translation and other Urdu related material to help you increase vocabulary.
- The fourth thing you need to do pertaining to learning of Urdu is read Urdu as much as you can. Reading Urdu is one of the best ways with the help of which one can improve Urdu language. Reading of Urdu comes with vocabulary items, grammar and syntax structures all of which lead to increasing the proficiency of the learner. Therefore, it is imperative that an Urdu learner reads as much Urdu as possible and reads all sorts of material related to Urdu learning.
- The fifth and perhaps the most obvious thing that needs to be done pertaining to Urdu learning is to practice Urdu as much as possible. This practice should not be specific to speaking only, rather the practice should take care of all the four skills of learning namely speaking, reading, writing and listening. Therefore, in addition to reading Urdu, you must speak Urdu, listen to Urdu songs and practice writing daily diary in Urdu.
In a nutshell, the importance of Urdu is growing day by day, therefore, if you cannot afford to learn the language formally, then by following the aforementioned tips you can pursue learning on your own.